Sandra Córdoba

• Sandra Córdoba profile photo
Doctoral Lecturer (SEEK)  
Delany Hall, Room 114  
718- 997-3119  
Sandra.Cordoba@qc.cuny.edu  

Research Interests

My research focuses on the use of performance in the teaching of college writing to examine the presentation of students’ sociocultural knowledge through writing and the ways in which performance affects the quality of student engagement.

Teaching

I teach undergraduate classes on academic writing and writing about literature, including English 110, English 130, and English 162W. My pedagogy focuses on encouraging student motivation and reflective engagement in the writing process. To this end, in my courses I incorporate performance activities that aim to support students’ kinesthetic engagement with their own writing. I am also interested in the use of poetry as a form of political participation and literacy practice in the composition classroom, and the intersection of composition and philosophy.

Selected Conference Presentations

The Music of Writing. Presentation accepted onto the NCTE Annual Convention, Denver, Colorado (November 2020)

Student Voice in the Composition Classroom. Panelist at the Bucks County Community College Faculty of the Future Virtual Conference (May 2020)

From Form to Freedom: Social Justice in the Classroom Through Ghazal, Socratic Circle, and Poetry of Witness. Panelist at the BMCC Transitions and Transactions Conference, New York, NY (April 2018).

Teaching in the Trenches: Immigrant Women Sharing their Experiences in the Classroom and Beyond. Panelist at the 23rd International Congress of the Latin American Studies Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico (May 2015)

A Transnational Kaleidoscope: Connecting with Students Through Narratives. Panelist at the NCTE Annual Convention, Washington, D.C. (November 2014)

There are No Masters: Creative Curriculum for Relationships with Texts and Processes. Panelist at the BMCC Transitions and Transactions Conference, New York, NY (April 2014).

“The Use of Drama Techniques in the Teaching of English Composition to English Language Learners.” Monolingual Teacher – Multilingual Student: Communication Challenges in the Teaching of English to ELL Students. Panelist at the NCTE Annual Convention, Boston, Massachusetts (November 2013).

Selected Publications

Cordoba, Sandra. “The Unexpected Poet” English Journal, vol. 111, no. 5, May 2022, p. 34.